'orrible yet optimistic .

My photo
I don't mind if you despise this blog,yes it's great if you enjoy it, but rather selfishly, it's for me.It's oddly comforting knowing that my little opinion is floating around in cybersapce and will always be here.

Wednesday 9 March 2011

Metro Madness.

I love reading the Metro (for those who don't know what this is, it's the daily paper we have on all public buses in the UK) because I refuse to watch the news on the television, partially because I'd find something more entertaining to watch (I'm obsessed with TV drama) and partially due to the fact I can't bring myself to face the harsh reality of live and the constant bombardment of negativity. The Metro is my only window in which I gaze into and find out about the goings on of the whole wide world. Anyway something I read today in the Metro really ruffled my feathers, the full article can be found here, in brief though it describes this 'new revelation' that birds can feel empathy towards their offspring. It's great that they have finally realised this and are raising awareness of the fact birds animals and most organisms express these 'human' traits and emotions however how could you assume that they never did beforehand? I'm a firm believer that all animals, mammals and reptiles, from pig to possum have and frequently display these 'human' qualities, we just are not aware of them.

A vegetarian ; I am not, a hypocrite ; I most certainly am. Although I devour probably the equivalent of an entire pig in a week in bacon, pork chops, sausages and ham I still resent the way in which we exploit these animals. I'm aware that we have a higher level of intelligence and a sophisticated communication system but who said that we have total stewardship of this planet, and can help ourselves to resources at every trophic level (producers, consumers, secondary consumers) of every food chain? Who is to say monkeys couldn't run it any better than we do? Look at what we've done to it, it's a total mess. In the most non-suicidal and pro-genocide way, I truly believe it would do this planet a world (no pun intended) of good if the human race was entirely wiped out.  Food chains would be able to reform, populations would return, those on the brink of extinction may well boom in numbers, who knows? If it ever happened no-one would ever know. Without our meddling machinery and greedy grazing on all of the worlds resources the world would thrive, dogs and domesticated animals would die yes, but the advantages outweigh everything.

World issues dealt with, my own little world has been pretty hectic recently (good hectic though) since my birthday It's been non stop, from further planning of my Europe trip to extensive revision sessions, I've barely had a moment to stop, to think and most importantly to write. I'm going to try and write at least once a week, to prevent my head from exploding more than anything else.

2 comments:

  1. You should write about your birthday to prevent brain explosion, I'm interested in the presents you got, the people you saw and the things you did for it :)

    I really love your blog, sorry to be anonymous but I don't have my own blogspot! I'm a Facebook friend, I'd like to talk to you more. I read your blog whenever I can and like learning about your world :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. firstly get thank you! and get yourself a blogspot :)

    secondly, certainly! present post etc coming right at ya!

    ReplyDelete